United Way of Northeast Arkansas, in partnership with the IRS, offers free tax filing services each year during tax season through the IRS-sponsored Volunteer Income Tax Program (VITA). IRS certified volunteers work with eligible taxpayers to assist with the preparation of basic tax returns and will electronically file those returns once they have been reviewed.
Please understand tax appointments will look different this year as we work to protect clients and volunteers! Please check out our three options for tax preparation below. This information will help you determine which appointment type will work best for your household. If you are planning to file a joint return with your spouse, you must BOTH be present for each appointment/interview--please make note of this as you schedule your appointment. The program income limit for tax year 2020 is $57,000 or less.
THE IRS HAS SET FEBRUARY 12 AS THE START DATE FOR FILING SEASON 2020. TAX RETURNS WILL NOT BE TRANSMITTED TO THE IRS UNTIL THIS DATE. TO LEARN MORE ABOUT THIS IRS UPDATE, PLEASE VISIT IRS.GOV. If you receive certain credits, these returns are expected to begin processing the first week of March.
Clients opting for a 100% virtual appointment will be contacted at the beginning of February to submit their documents and begin the process. Virtual preparation is anticipated to have a one week turnaround if all documents are submitted timely. If you would like to join the waiting list for 100% VIRTUAL tax preparation, please click HERE.
Common out of scope situations may be found here.
Documents you may need to complete your tax return:
- For married filing joint, BOTH SPOUSES MUST BE PRESENT
- Valid Photo ID for you and spouse, if filing jointly
- Social Security cards or (ITIN) for you, your spouse and dependents
- Income documents, including but not limited to W-2, 1098-T, 1099-R, 1099-MISC
- Interest and dividend statements from banks, Form 1099
- Health Insurance Marketplace Statement, Form 1095-A
- Health Insurance Exemption Certificate, if received
- Information for all deductions/credits
- Total paid to childcare provider and provider’s tax ID number (social security number or business employer identification number)
- For married filing separately, spouse social security number & note of standard deduction or itemized deduction
- For direct deposit of refund - proof of account and routing numbers from bank (voided check will work)
- For prior year returns, copies of income transcripts from IRS if no W-2
- Copy of last year's tax return
- Notice 1444 (Economic Impact Payment total amount received)
Please see free, online filing options below!
Taxpayers can file simple federal and state returns for free online using MyFreeTaxes.com! United Way has made this service available to over 1.2 million U.S. taxpayers as part of our fight for the financial stability of every person in every community.
*There is a fee for taxpayers who are self-employed. These taxpayers may file using MyFreeTaxes at a 50% discounted rate ($24.99 for federal and $18.50 for state). Self-employed taxpayers will need to use Schedule C to report all income and expenses.*
Other free filing options are available at IRS.GOV. Taxpayers may choose to file federal individual income tax returns through one of the many Free File options (some state options are available as well). These services are provided through brand-name softwares or free file fillable forms.
Save and Win!
Participants in our free tax program have the opportunity to participate in our "Save and Win Contest" by saving 30% of their tax refund in any savings account! A huge congratulations to our 2020 winners! Keep saving! Ask your tax preparer how you can be entered to win $500!
Interested in Volunteering??
Check out our program video below! Volunteer FAQ can be found HERE.
Funding for the Free Tax Program (VITA) provided in part by: